July 31, 2007

Welcome to Mangaliiu

I have now been in the village of Magalilu for three weeks and yesterday moved into the house I will be living in for the next year. Upon arrival, I had been living with my newly designated host family in a small house adjacent to the family house. My new family consists of the father William, mother Leimara, and 5 kids: Jonas 13, Viktor, 12, Jimmy 8, Bratly 6, Olivina 4.
There is definitely lots of Energy at the dinner table and around the house! I was postponed moving into my new house (taking it over from my predecessor) because there was need to smoke the thatch roof by lighting fires for a few days inside the house. Getting a layer of smoke on the thatch protects it from insect infestation, helping the house to last longer. In the meantime, I have been doing the first bit of landscaping (mostly removing invasive species that are taking over the waterfront) and planting of some papaya, bananas and local cabbage. I also have erected a fence for my soon to be vegetable garden.

It is nice to be in a village with fresh daily bread, running water and I even have a flushing toilet (I use the toilet belonging to the tourism project, as it is located next to my house). The commute to Port Vila is $5 round trip and I am able to get into town and take care of ongoing applications and communicate with family on a regular basis.
In the past three weeks, we have celebrated both Children's day and Vanuatu's Independence Day (July 30th). The community united for Childrens day and had a day of events for the children that included a treasure hunt, church service, sports games and a night of watching childrens movies on a generator, TV, DVD Player combination. At the afternoon meal everyone who was considered a youth (anyone who is not married, even 60 year old men that never were married) was treated to a meal and each table had two mamas presiding over it making sure everyone had enough food and juice.
Surprisingly (to me) the Independence celebrations were not planned out like those for Children's Day and a last minute plan came into action the morning of to get fish and food ready and put on an afternoon meal. The country is 27 this year and it is still very visibly in its early years, though working toward a better future.
I have been working with the local tourism committee and attended a tour last week to further my understanding of the project. There is much happening presently with the areas property buffer zones, environmental impact plans and establishing a licensed tourism business. As things move along "slow, slow" here as it goes with the project. Other projects are in the works and currently being passed around the community for input.
I am excited for my Dad to come and visit in just a few days and am hoping we will get a lot more pictures to post up on the blog while he is here. For now, I hope you all enjoy the pictures and are staying healthy and happy wherever you may be.
Love and Peace from the South Pacific.














No comments: